NJAOPS offers eight membership classifications with eligibility as follows:
- Active Member: An osteopathic physician licensed to practice medicine in the state of New Jersey, maintaining more than 50% of his or her active practice in the state.
- Associate Member: Either a) an osteopathic physician who maintains more than 50% of his or her active practice in another state or the military, belongs to that divisional society, and resides or partially practices in the state of New Jersey or b) a non-osteopathic physician who desires to affiliate with the association in support of its objectives.
- Non-resident Member: An osteopathic physician who maintains his or her entire practice in a state not contiguous to New Jersey and who is an active member of that state’s osteopathic association.
- Intern/Resident Member: An osteopathic medical school graduate who is a full-time intern, resident or fellow at an accredited institution. This classification includes those in a full-time preceptoral training program.
- Student Member: A medical student attending an osteopathic medical school accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
- Retired Member: An osteopathic physician who has retired from all practice of medicine.
- Life Member: An osteopathic physician who has reached the age of 70 and has been an Active member in good standing for 25 consecutive years immediately preceding application for Life membership status.
- Honorary Member: An individual recognized by NJAOPS for his or her significant contributions to the association, osteopathic medicine and health care in New Jersey or the nation.
With the exception of the Associate and Honorary membership classifications, all membership applicants must be graduates of an AOA-accredited osteopathic medical school and must be licensed to practice medicine in New Jersey.
All individuals classified as NJAOPS members agree to comply with the Bylaws of the association and the Code of Ethics of the AOA.
Completed membership applications are reviewed by the NJAOPS Membership Committee. The NJAOPS Board of Directors grants final approval of all applications.